Are You Sad This Holiday Season?





Sisters in Christ, Come on in and grab a cup of tea. Let's talk about ...Are You Sad This Holiday Season?

Sadness and the Christmas holiday do not go together. Unfortunately, I have been running into so many sad, mean and angry women this holiday season.

I don't know why there seems to be an increase of Scrooges or people just feeling "humbug." However, Moms tend to set the tone for their household so if mom is sad, everyone in the house will be grumpy. The sadness may be a result of people taking Christ out of Christmas. Every where I turn I have been hearing people complaining about purchasing gifts, decorating their home and even cooking Christmas Dinners. Many churches have even done away with the annual Christmas plays. I notice that many of the store clerks no longer wish customers "Merry Christmas." Many moms are driving themselves crazy about trying to purchase electronic games and devices their children want that they can not afford. Why would you be sad at the happiest time of the year?

Where does your sadness come from? Can you trace your sadness to a negative childhood
experience? Are you feeling down because of sadness, guilt, hopelessness, fatigue, and a variety of other symptoms. Have you let your current circumstance trigger sadness in your life. The thing I love about being a Christian is that we become a "new" creature so our past no longer defines us. The Enemy will use this spiritual holiday season to try to get you sad or resentful about your past. Some of you have been even tricked by the enemy to believe that your love should equated to the type of gift you give. If you really love me then I should have a big or expensive gift.

I have been surrounded by negativity lately, a mom at my local mom group meeting brag that her family is skipping Christmas because of her children behavior in school. How awful I thought to myself, taking Christmas from a child because one can not forgive their bad behavior. The sad thing is that Jesus is all about forgiveness and second chance. However, more and more moms are letting their negative attitudes cause them to fall into depression. There is no such thing as a perfect Christmas so you can't let that standard in your head discourage you from enjoying your family.

But what if  you are sad because your family is really bad. What if you have a family that really sucks and Christmas seems to remind you of their shortcomings. I think that sometimes we forget that the other side of the Christmas story is all about Trusting God.

Look at the story in a different way. Imagine if  Mary was a modern girl, like you, what would her story be in plain English? I am working on my Masters Degree hoping to finish soon. I have rent to pay, I engaged to man has it going on. I am trying to figure out how I am going to pay for my wedding. Then an angel tells me I will be pregnant when the Holy Spirit comes. You and I would be rightfully depressed about the possible scandal. However, Mary decided not to be Debbie Downer, or be sad or depressed. She decided to just TRUST GOD.

One was to Trust God is to praise him. Romans15:11 reminds us to "praise the Lord." That means thanking him for what you do have. Thank him for the health and strength to go through your situation. Take a moment and pray that the Lord teach you how to release everything to Him and change your negative attitude. If you think your sadness may be clinical depression then use the resources the Lord has in the world and see a doctor. Remember the Lord can heal any disease or disorder or any circumstance in your life.

“But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; 
they shall mount up with wings as eagles
they shall run, and not be weary; 
and they shall walk, and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).






Comments

  1. So nice work you do..you are really inspiring Sistergirl -best self confidence books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment