Healthy Menu: Jazzing Up Spinach and Lentil Soup


Sisters, come on in and grab a cup of tea and lets talk about becoming more Healthy in 2011.

I plan to add something new and healthy every week to my menu. I pray I will be successful.
If you have not figured out, I love soup.
This week I conquered Spinach and Lentil Soup.

I am trying to lose weight this year. I have been encouraged by a few blog friends and I have gotten a few blog referrals to read and check out. I didn't know that there were so many blogs focused on shedding pounds. Here are a few to check out.

Here are a few sites I just learened about:
Hollie's Weight Loss Blog   http://www.skinnyhollie.com/
Lynn Weight Loss   http://lynnsweigh.blogspot.com/
Keeping the Faith the Skinny Me   http://ktf-skinnyme.blogspot.com/
Ah Me So Hungry http://mesohongry.blogspot.com/

If you are working on your weight in 2011, stop by and let me know how things are going every
Monday. Let me share my recipe for Spinach and Lentil Soup. I am not a vegetarian but I don't eat pork or red meat. My challenge is that I like my food well season and I enjoy a little spice so my recipe may be a tab bit different than those traditional recipes because I do my food my way. lol

4 Scallions (chopped)
1/4 lb. Celery
1 white Onion*

2 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 cup Lentils
4 cups Chicken Broth *
1/4 lb. Diced Tomatos*
1/4 lb. Diced Potatoes or White Yam
1 lb. Chopped Spinach *
½ tsp. Cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1.In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sautee onions, scallions and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in garlic and cumin; cook for 2 minutes.

2.Stir in lentils, potatoes and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.Add chili powder. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in remaining seasons to taste with salt and pepper,cayenne pepper, if desired.

Are you trying to improve your health this year? How are things going?

Comments