6 Week Club: Avoiding Yoga

Sisters in Christ, Come on in and grab a cup of tea.
Let's talk about ...Avoiding Yoga.

I have been trying to lose weight and increase my physical movement. My goal is 16 pounds in 6 weeks. I haven't seen any great improvement lately, but I will talk about that later.

I was shock and surprise after prayer service when a seasoned saint suggested that I try Yoga.

Yoga?

A Christian Yogi!!! Christian and Yoga do not go together in my eyes. I was taught that Christians should avoid Yoga. I believe its wrong for Christians to practice. Its a pagan ritual. To be honest I sadden to know that this Christian didn't know that it wrong. It is estimated that about 10 million Americans practice Yoga. Wow, that is lot of people who are trying to get connected to some type
of spirit.

For religious reasons I do not participate in Sanskrit/Yoga. In Yoga your entire "being" becomes one with Brahman, the Supreme Reality in Hindu metaphysics. Its basically the means of salvation for Hindus, its like Christian discipleship.

This alone should be enough for "so called" Christians who practice Yoga and don't understand why the church says its wrong. It is so important to read the bible for yourself and not just go through the routines of life. There are different types of yoga, however all form of the religion use yoga as a way to earn salvation. As a Christian Yogi how can you justify seeking salvation from two different Saviors?

Acts 4:12 reminds us: And there is Salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be save. Only the Name of Christ has the power to save, not repeating mantras or the name of idols. 


Ladies, When you practice yoga you open your mind to false teaching. It is important to read, read, read the Word of God. We can't say we believe in the Lord and do things that show we really do not believe. You have to be honest with yourself. If you are just stretching and exercising then do it but not under the umbrella of yoga. Many of the pose in yoga have spiritual meaning to the Hindu religion. Christians have to be different from the world. we can't just imitate. We are to meditate on the Word of God. We are not to focus on ourselves and clear our minds.

1 Timothy 6:26 says, Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge, for by professing it some have swerved from the faith.

the Lord wants us all to get healthy. He wants the best for our body/temple; however, Yoga is not the answer. There are other exercise programs that do not have a religious component contrary to the Word of God. Lets be mindful of the things we do.

In Col 2:23 he reminds us, These have ... the appearance of wisdom is promoting self-made religion 
and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

I thought it ironic that this woman at church would try to introduce the foolishness of yoga to me after I was just praying to God. The Lord reminded me that it is good that I have been reading and praying at home. If I was a babe in Christ I could have fell into something that would have taken me away from my beliefs in Christ. Yoga promotes Self in God and Christ taught us to deny Self and follow Him. I believe that the more you practice Yoga it slowly chips away in your belief in God. That is not a good thing.

Here is an interesting thought: the subtle Serpent in the garden fooled Eve into believing she could become god. History calls the serpent "Naga" which is honored in Hinduism. This only is the evident that Yoga and all its division is a doctrine of something evil.

Comments