Mom's Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe

Sisters in Christ, Come on in and grab a cup of tea. Let's talk about ...Mom's Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe.

I hope every one has an opportunity to try a new recipe each week. You know I am an island girl and our recipes is a vast mixture of culture. One of my favorites growing up when I ate red meal was Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's Pie is an English dish that is tasty and so easy to make.

My mom recipe is simple. We never used traditional vegetables in our pie. I don't know where the inclusion of corns, carrots and peas came from. I don't know which is true to the original English recipe.

Okay, this recipe in Jamaica was made with ground lamb and mashed white yams. In the U.S. it is made with beef and mashed potatoes. I made it below with beef and yes I can season the meat without tasting it, lol. Growing up learning to season meat is serious business you have to taste it, I learned to eyeball it.

If you try the recipe please let me know ho you enjoyed it.

Shepherd's Pie Recipe:
1 1/2lbs  ground beef or lamb
1 chopped onion
3 stems of spring onions
1/2 green pepper
1 1/2 - 2lbs of potatoes
1 stick butter
1/2 cup beef or lamb broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon flour
Salt, pepper, season salt, garlic, thyme, to taste

Methods:

1. Skin and broil potatoes and set aside.












2. Season and brown ground beef (no pink meat).
Drain excess liquid. Keep a tablespoon full for the Rue.












3. Saute' onions, spring onions and green peppers in a little butter and set aside.













4. Mix your flour with water, I added Worcestershire Sauce for color and flavor.
 

5. Mix in excessive liquid with Rue and brown.
 
6. Mix the rue, vegetables and meat together.











7.  Mash potatoes with milk, butter and seasons.












8.Place mash potatoes on top of beef. Decorate or use a piping bag.
Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Brown the top if you prefer. Plate and enjoy.



 
 

Comments